Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Zimbabwe and the Inauguration

Today we usher in a new era in America--the forty-fourth President of the United States.



First of all, I have to admit that he is not my guy. I think he is too leftist and I am worried that taxes, yes, even my meager, mediocre teacher-salary taxes, will go up. I do not believe in a lot of Democratic-party ideals.



But all in all, it is a great country. It could be like the political manhandling going on in Zimbabwe:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090119/ap_on_re_af/af_zimbabwe;_ylt=As.mkUstsW5ivqXywQxVHam96Q8F

Because, through it all, this was a free election. This will be a peaceful transfer of power. Any way you look at it, that must be a good thing. Because there are places like Zimbabwe that unwittingly become examples for when I teach the novel 1984 that places with totalitarian governments still exist in our world.

No comments: