Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Fellowship of the Ring

At an absolutely unprecedeted fast pace for me, I started The Fellowship of the Ring on Friday and just finished today. I've never read 500 pages so fast.

I was just in the right mood. I wanted a quest. I wanted an adventure story. I didn't want to relearn a universe or look stuff up. I just wanted to read. And since I've read it twice before, once way the hell back in high school, and am very familiar with the movies, this was nice and easy.

I must say, it is also a pleasure to read. The language is engrossing. You can just tell how much Tolkien loved language.

I am going to dive right into The Two Towers today. I've only read that once before--I never picked it up in high school after Fellowship. To be honest, I was not ready for this trilogy in high school. This honestly gets better with age.

No comments: