Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Stuff to do

I have been reading quite a bit. Some things other than novels too.

I just finished H.P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Creepy. Scary. Downright good. Macabre at its finest. Long but excellent.

I've also been reading some comics.
The Comet #1-18 (DC). The limited run of DC's Impact Comics line (or !mpact as it was written) made for a New Universe a la Marvel effect in the early 90s. What were they thinking? Didn't they learn from Marvel? I picked up a few but stuck with The Comet. I now know it must be because superscribe Mark Waid was writing it. The great part is that they knew the line, after about 12 issues, was going to be cancelled. So Waid completely went nuts, turning the Comet into an alien and ending in a blaze of glory. Acts as quite a good novel-type of writing. Eighteen self-contained issues (with only occasional references to the rest of the line). Well worth the $1 or so I paid per issue.

Deathstroke the Terminator #1, 2 (DC). I started picking this early 1990s series up as I could with the cheapo Mile High Comics. Always wanted to read it with those brilliant Mike Zeck covers and Marv Wolfman writing but couldn't afford it as a high school/college student. Now I can. Good stuff, but heavily steeped in DC mythology.

Action Comics #852, 854 (DC). Kind of new as these are COUNTDOWN tie-ins. However, even fabulous author Kurt Busiek cannot salvage decent reading out of Jimmy Olsen obtaining strange powers and trying to figure out what to do with them. Boring, and I am a Superman nut.


More to come.

No comments: