Saturday, February 16, 2008

RIT Scores and teaching adults

I was out of my comfort zone. I was teaching adults instead of kids.

Yesterday, my school district had one of those teacher inservice days. Kids love 'em. Teachers still love 'em--cuz there's no kids! I had to present RIT Scores and MAP Data to two sections of teachers, as my district adopted this test this year.

I have sat through plenty of inservice hours on MAP testing up in Nome. We had been doing it there for two years already. This is Midland's first year. Now I have to go through all of those growing pains over again. Getting adults used to something new, especially another new testing system, can be an uphill battle.

However, it went over very well. I think I got the main points across on how valuable these numbers can actually be, especially in differentiating instruction, the buzzword of the year.

Not only do I get something I can tack on to my resume and list of accomplishments, I got to teach to the rest of the district. That's quite good, in my humble opinion, as a first year teacher to the district.

No comments: