Friday, July 27, 2007

San Diego Comicon 2007

No, I'm not going. I'd love to one year, but I'm not going. One year. So this year, as the geek that I am, I will be glued to my television set watching the channel G4's live coverage of San Diego Comicon 2007.

I have been to several little conventions in the Chicago and Seattle areas. I've met and shook hands with two of my favorites, Karl Kesel and Jim Lee. Met Green Lantern early penciler Mart Nodell. Other people too. Haven't been in such a long time. I might be able to go to the Chicago Comicon, now known as Wizardworld Chicago, in early August. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but even though Amy said she'd go with me, I don't know if the kids would want to go.

I'm a geek. I admit it. Granted, I am not so much of a geek that I would dress up as Wolverine or a Klingon or anything, but I am still a geek. I have always liked imaginative fiction. Science fiction, fantasy, and especially superhero fiction. Comics have always been the best place to get that kind of stuff. And I especially love the storytelling ability that a comic book can have--the pleasure or reading with the ultimate in visual storytelling. Just like I learned in one of my masters courses, visuals, like movies and comics, take away tedious description.

And with all of the new technology and movie tech recently, comic books can finally be made into movies. They could never have done Transformers, Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Sin City, Fantastic Four, and tons, tons more, without the current tech. In a way, with the complete success of these movies, it justifies my geeky obsessions for the past 25 years. Now I seem to be the expert and knew way back then what everybody tries to know now. I was reading these comics years before it became a blockbuster movie.

I am a geek, and proud of it.

No comments: