Saturday, December 30, 2006

String Theory not new

I've been a bit of closet scientist ever since I watched that Nova special on PBS called The Elegant Universe. That string theory explains a lot to me, even of my limited conceptual basis. I may not be a Stephen Hawking, but I am intelligent. Conceptualizing the universe has been something this Star Trek-Star Wars-Doctor Who-Dune-comic book-time travel geek has done for a long, long time.


String theory opens the door easily for parellel universes. Star Trek had the mirror universes. Doctor Who had E-space. And this comic panel from an early Justice League of America comic book explains in a nutshell the comic book concept of parallel universes, thus defining 65+ years of history and the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths and the recent Infinite Crisis.

What I am debating with myself here is:
Is string theory all that diabolically new or are they just proving past theories right?
I may not know enough here to truly answer this question. Just talking out loud.
(Also, I love how string theory also proves right the ancient theory of a "music of the spheres."

No comments: