Thursday, December 28, 2006

Blogger vs Word Press

All right, I already like the ease of Word Press on my Ambrosia comics blog better than the Blogger interface.

It's not too late to change over completely, but I like having one site. You should have seen how tempermental I became over losing my aol email address. Same first part, mjb0123, but losing that aol.com seemed to be changing everything. That's why I like my Yahoo address. It doesn't matter how I access the internet, the address is the same and that's the way it should be.

I do like segregating my comics geek-dom to my Ambrosia blog. Those that like the comics stuff don't want to read about my life (probably not) and those that know me don't want to read about the comics stuff (probably not). They are two different worlds. Granted, comics are a big part of my life and always have been. However, like any closet geek, I try to keep that stuff below the surface.

I say "try to" because I know I can't. I'm proud of the knowledge I've accumulated, whether it be in the comics field or not. The comics field has simply been a boon, especially recently, to bigger and better things, like blockbuster movies. Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, and countless other movies that you wouldn't think were first comic books unless you knew like A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, etc. I feel like I just know what the true stories are. They were all first told simply to tell a story. Comics was their medium, a very visual one. Others liked it, optioned it, and they became movies, especially in the wake of the technological advances of recent years to make Spider-Man really swing on that web.

Ultimate dream? I mean, ULTIMATE dream? I would be the Roger Ebert of comic books.

It's starting, bit by bit. Creators mail me comics straight up now for review. I get electronic files too. I've been quoted on other websites. Maybe it's a bit much, but I know this medium. There was one point as I was graduating high school to a couple of years after, when I even subscribed to and read the weekly Comics Buyer's Guide when it was still in newsprint form, that I pretty much knew everything about comic books. I could tell you who the inker was before seeing the credits. I could tell you who the letterer was, for Pete's sake, the person who just wrote the words in the dialogue balloons.

I just want to use this accumulated knowledge. If it helps a real creator get exposed, wonderful. If it helps someone simply find a decent read, terrific. It's my hobby so it gives me a creative outlet too.

No comments: