Monday, February 20, 2006


Okay, I don't get it.
I finally got to read this three-issue limited series from DC's Vertigo Comics label. It is written by fan-favorite (and one of my favorites) Grant Morrison. All right, everything sounds fine. That's a good beginning. DC. Vertigo. Morrison. Guaranteed a good time.
Except I don't know what I just read. I don't get the point.
It was interesting. It was very well drawn by Cameron Stewart. It was a bit surreal. Seaguy's partner was some floating fish called Chubby the Choona. Weird, but doable. Hey, this is comics after all.
At first, I thought we were going to have a good little futuristic plot to uncover the secrets behind the foodstuff known as XOO. (I was pronouncing it "ZOO," and I hope that was right.) That is what that little pink critter is on the cover. The story is set in the time period where superheroes are no longer needed. The first issue may have led to good things.
But the second two issues led us on some kind of quest that does not deliver a final point. I hope someone out there can give me a final point, message, or theme to the whole thing. I soon will hold a Masters degree in English literature and I have no idea.
Grant Morrison missed with this one. However, this is only one miss out of a long line of hits.

No comments: