Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Single vs. Album?

Ran into a bit of a bubble with the Album Reviews my writing classes are doing this week. They don’t listen to albums anymore. Or here, I maybe should say.

There is no Sam Goody or real CD shop here in Nome. They don’t go wandering the racks at Borders with the headphones and listen to everything conceivable. (Although that sounds like a good business venture here, I would have to do the underlying economic prospects—there may not be any money here for those kinds of purchases all the time. Maybe as a kids’ hangout with a little café and arcade?)

They do some downloading here. They do have their MP3 players. iPods are all over. They simply do a lot of individual song purchases (or steals). They do not buy the whole album usually. The studio album apparently is not what it once was.

So I have run into a bit of a problem with the kids who only listen to a couple of songs. I’m working through it. I have added that the kids can write about their best mix CD, even though it kind of beats the purpose of an “album review.” Maybe I should bring some album to listen to while they are working….

No comments: