Friday, January 20, 2006

Curb Your Enthusiasm

I finally watched my first episode of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO last night. I knew that he was the other writing half behind Seinfeld but I somehow never watched the show. I tried watching a rerun of Seinfeld but then realized that I had seen this episode about 800 times already. It was time for something new. However, I don't like a lot of sitcoms. It takes me forever to get used to a new show. I wanted something just like Seinfeld. I originally think the show didn't appeal to me when I tuned in a couple times part way through the show and either didn't know what was going on or couldn't laugh because there was no laugh track. I hate myself for thinking that I needed a laugh track.

I tuned in to the beginning of the show. I still didn't know what I was in for. It still took me a while to get used to it. I stuck with it and you know what? I loved it. I haven't laughed so hard since I saw the episode of the British sitcom Coupling where Jeff tries to say he has a fake leg just to get a girl. (More on that one later.)

It was funny. It was exactly the same types of character rolled in to this series as Seinfeld. Larry David is actually a combination of George Costanza and Jerry Seinfeld from the show. He possessed the same kind of cold, callous behavior toward the rest of humanity.

And with it being on HBO, it was able to be even funnier. Just imagine that famous episode of Seinfeld called "The Contest" if they could have said more than trying to get around the censors. This one spoke some conventions of human existence that we all laugh at but could never be said on regular TV.

I am going to watch more of this show. I was really impressed.

No comments: