Monday, January 09, 2006

Another Day in Nome

Woke up to a temperature of -8 degrees this morning. The snow still crunches underfoot, even after a few days of being on the ground. Still feels like I'm waking up at 2 am with the fact that the sun will not rise until noon.

Went to school a bit early this morning to get some stuff done. We will be writing album reviews this week of the students' favorite albums. This is the last week of the semester. Today I will hand out current grade sheets so that I can hear the mumbles and groans. Then I am sure that I will have to do even more work to find worksheets and assignments they have missed so that they can do them. I can't say no it is too late. Can't. Tried that last year and some parents wondered why I am holding their beloved little pupil back. So I just get the stuff that they're missing. Part of me realizes that even if they flunk these seventh and eighth grade years, they are still going to advance. Doesn't matter if I get them the stuff now or not. Some of them won't turn it in anyway.

I have no idea what I am going to do for this supposed drama club this year. I had two meetings and two different groups of kids showed up. I only get paid a stipend of $250 if a final production occurs. I don't know how much time I want to put into this for that stipend. I will have to arrange things so the students run the show. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen though.

Now for class. Hopefully the students will be a little more anxious to write about their favorite music albums today. I am hoping. I am sure I will have to stand over the shoulder of some.

No comments: