Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Nothing to do, everything to do

I worked yesterday morning and this morning from 6-10 am at Hanson's grocery. Not bad because all I did was block shelves! They call it "facing" here but it is the same thing I have done hundreds of times at Art's. It's easy. They only have six aisles altogether. It is a much smaller store than Art's though. These aisles are half the size of the six that Art's had when I started working there. The actually have more room in the back and upstairs than they do floor space. That was the same thing with Art's. Hanson's reminds me a lot of what Art's felt like when I started working there when I was 15. I'll have to take some pictures now. (And the music is still the same. I can't believe how eerie it is that the music is exactly the same. I swear I heard the entire repertoire of Huey Lewis and the News over the past two days.)

Other than that, I have some papers to grade before we go back to school on January 5th. The semester ends January 13th so those have to get in the gradebook. I also have to do a bit of planning for next semester. I have a couple of books I am just going to photocopy and go through page by page. They are writing fundamentals, grammar, usage, spelling plurals and such. That is what they need more than anything. I'll have them do a research paper later and some freewriting and such but I don't think they can just write to write yet. That is what I did when I taught 9th and 10th grade for the past two years. That's where they are cognitively able to string sentences together to form coherent paragraphs. I think they need more mechanics and understanding of sentences and language first. And since I have no prescribed curriculum but the Grade Level Expectations, or GLEs, then that is what I think I need to do.

I am re-reading a bunch of comics. I am putting in an order at Mile High Comics for this week. I can actually get back issues cheaper than new comics. I loved the era of comics that I read, so I am going to read more of them. The only ones I read on a regular basis now anyways are the Superman titles and JLA when I can get them. Even new ones that I think I would like, I just need to wait a while to get them cheaper through back issue or trade paperback.

Now I gotta go pick up someone from the airport.

No comments: