Wednesday, December 28, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

LEAVES OF GRASS

by Walt Whitman

Come, said my soul,
Such verses for my Body let us write, (for we are one,)
That should I after return,
Or, long, long hence, in other spheres,
There to some group of mates the chants resuming,
(Tallying Earth's soil, trees, winds, tumultuous waves,)
Ever with pleas'd smile I may keep on,
Ever and ever yet the verses owning--as, first, I here and now
Signing for Soul and Body, set to them my name,

Walt Whitman

A new year is approaching. One in which I turn 33 years of age. There's not much I need or require. I have it. I have wonderful children. I have a wonderful wife. I have a job and a roof over our heads. I just put in a back issue order at Mile High Comics. Life is good.

But like in Maslow's hierarchy of needs, one always strives to achieve self-actualization. Like the Radiohead song says, "I want a perfect body; I want a perfect soul."

50 is a key number for some reason. I am going to resolve a few things that will not overdo anything. These will only enhance my life, not get in the way.

I resolve to do 50 pushups and 50 situps a day. Maybe not altogether, but a day.

I resolve to read 50 pages of something a day. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it adds up to 50 pages. I will be keeping tally on this website in the lower right hand corner of the reading that I accomplish. See, that Whitman poem above is one page. May not be a full page of text, but being a literature major, I get a lot out of it and have always wanted to read the whole damn book anyway.

Nothing earthshattering.

No comments: