Friday, December 09, 2005

New comics



I am always so happy when I get new comic books.

I was able to get some new ones at the Dimond Mall yesterday at a store called Bosco's. I think a store like this could take off in Nome. It had Warhammer and Dungeons & Dragons model figures, comics, and all sorts of stuff. Yeah, it is a geekboy place, but I'm a geek. Why wouldn't it take off in Nome? What are the alternatives? None. There are no hangouts. There is no weekly store for kids to go visit.

I remember being able to run to the Jewel/Osco in Bolingbrook to look for the new comics. I was able to get the Handbook of the Marvel Universe and Fantastic Four vs. the X-Men. (It always amazes me when I can remember exactly when and where I bought most of my comics.) I remember paying in pennies for one of them and having the cashier give me one of those looks.

Heh. I also remember getting accused of shoplifting there. When I didn't have enough money for all the comics I wanted, I would take an issue or two and hide them behind other magazines, thinking that I would buy them when I could. I didn't want them to sell out. A clerk followed me out and accused me. I remember being kind of bold, asking him if he wanted to search me. He made me show him where I put them after I explained. He said that I could ask the clerks to put them to the side if I was going to come in another day and buy them.

Man, I was just about to type that I have never shoplifted but I think that is slightly in error. I remember going to K-Mart in Bolingbrook with my mom and I was looking at the He-Man figures. I already had Man-E-Faces, the guy that had his face switch around. I had lost his pink plastic gun though. Boy, I hate to admit it, but I cracked open the figure's package and took the gun.

Superman would be upset with me. I remember feeling so bad about it. I've never done it since.

I also remember one time in second of third grade my teacher had these Tell Me Why (or something like that title) books for beginning readers. All sorts of topics and information were presented in those books. I loved those books. I would bring them home and write my name in them and put them on my bookshelf. My mom found them one day, wondering where I had gotten them. She made me take them back. The kids at school always asked me why my name was written on the inside front cover of the teacher's books.

I learned though.

No comments: