Sunday, November 27, 2005

English Grammar Paper

I found this old paper going through my files. I did this at Western Illinois University in one of my linguistics classes. What's interesting is how much I loved the silly little intricacies of the English language even back then. I wanted to pursue more linguistics, maybe even major in it at one point. Unfortunately, I never took my first of two linguistics classes until my junior year of college. By then, it was too late to change my focus unless I wanted to add another semester or two to college. And I didn't want to do that. I should go back and get another major, this time in linguistics. I wonder what it would take to do that?

Matt Butcher
English 370
Prof. Vick
6 December 1993

English Grammar Today


The usages of modern English grammar are always changing. What was once correct English is not even spoken anymore. Does a textbook always have the last word on a grammar debate? Or is the last word the everyday uses of modern people?
In a recent survey of twenty-two American college students, five grammar usage questions were asked. "This questionnaire is an attempt to determine current American usage. It is not a test of your knowledge of 'grammar'." I will analyze the five usage questions.
The first question is the always annoying differences between the words "lay" and "lie."
It's a beautiful day; I think I'll (lay, lie) out this afternoon.
Of the twenty-two people surveyed, sixteen answered "lay" and six answered "lie." As the textbook Understanding English Grammar by Martha Kolln indicates, "lie" is the correct word to use in this case. As the survey indicates, most people do not use the "correct" word. I believe this signifies a more modern use of the verb. "To lay out" has come to mean "to sunbathe."
The second question pertains to the function of the subject "I" and the object "me."
They gave Melissa and (I, me) the job.
Most people recognize that this sentence demands the objective
case of the pronoun, as the textbooks do. Seventeen polled answered "me" while five responded with "I." I believe that the people responding with "I" are, in essence, over-correcting themselves. "I" seems to be "more right" to some people, especially if asked, although "me is what they would use in everyday speech. As the poll indicates though, the textbook answer is used in modern English.
The third consideration applies to the always irritating differences between "who" and "whom."
(Who, Whom) did you ask for?
As the textbook indicates, "whom" is the correct grammar usage for this sentence, being the object of the preposition. But that is not what the survey says, as "who" resoundingly wins over "whom," 17-5. This tells me that "whom" is becoming an archaic term. "Who," in the minds of most English speakers, adequately and simply replaces "whom."
The fourth question relates a difference in a verb form.
Robin asks that nobody (bring, brings) glass.
The textbook states that the correct word for this sentence is "bring." And the survey agrees, although by a narrow margin, 13-9. The correct grammar usage of this has been ingrained in most of the everyday speech of English speakers. "Brings" also seems to be an accepted form. I don't think that one would correct another for using the "wrong" term here.
The final question deals with the subjunctive.
I wish I (was, were) going.
The results indicate a close contest, twelve for "was" and ten for "were." This tells me that the subjunctive is slowly losing itself in the speech patterns of the English language. While some do recognize the conventions of the subjunctive, more disregard it and pay no mind to this special case.
All in all, this survey has pointed out the intricacies of modern English grammar and its present day usage. Textbooks are not and should not be the last word on grammar questions. That should always be left up to the majority of the speakers of the language.

No comments: