Friday, November 11, 2005

The Day of Doing Nothing

Today is the second day of parent-teacher conferences. What they decided to do this year is stick us all in the RC (like an auditorium-type of area) and wait for the parents. No appointments or anything. Yesterday we were here from 1:30 pm (actually started work at noon because they assume they can just switch our eight hours around and that time is then compensated by a morning off--I didn't find out the hours until Tuesday because I specifically had to ask so thank goodness Amy had the day off yesterday. But I digress...) and we ended at 8:00 pm. There were a total of 15 parents that came through and I only talked to about 6 of them. So here we are again today, a day shift from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. I bet I see even less parents.

It is interesting to note about the time of day. I feel like I have completely lost my internal clock. I used to know what 7:00 am "felt" like. Back in Illinois, I could guess the time of day, even nighttime, and come really close. In Seattle, the day started to shift for me. The hours of light were slightly different. Now, the hours of light are skewed off the charts compared to what I am used to. The sun doesn't rise today until 10:22 am. Walking over here at 7:30 am, it felt like 3:00 am or so, that time a few slight hours before the sunrise. Yet this is supposed to be the working hours. Just feels odd, that's all. And then the sun sets tonight at 5:09 pm, so the actual daylight hours are less than seven hours.

Tonight is the Alumni tournament. The junior high will have an intersquad match with themselves, the junior varsity will have an intersquad match with themselves, and then the varsity will have a match with the alumni, ladies that have graduated but have been in volleyball for at least one season. It doesn't count for anything except pride and giving them a game to play. Next weekend we go away to Dillingham and the first weekend in December we go back to Barrow for regionals.

To top it all off, I have a cold today. I crashed last night early and at least got to sleep in this morning until 7:00 am because there is no practice on Fridays. I feel a little miserable. At least tomorrow, Saturday, is free of commitments. I need to work on my German film class for my masters degree anyway.

No comments: