Monday, November 21, 2005

American Education Week, November 14-18, 2005

We got these little cards in our teacher mailboxes during the week with
witty sayings about education. They are to inspire us. I am going to
use this one in the classroom, I find it so astute. I am going to make
them write an essay as to what it means.

"[My family] believed in the public school because they believed in a
community. They believed the important thing was what was in your head.
My grandmother was a schoolteacher. She taught in a one-room country
school north of Anoka, Minnesota, and my grandmother had a certain
contempt for people who made a great show and were not that bright. My
grandmother said, 'Don't be a 10-dollar haircut on a 25-cent head.' You
avoided that by going to school and paying attention. You became a
worthwhile person, and a member of the community."

--Garrison Keillor

I've always liked Garrison Keillor. Maybe not as much as I could have
because I could never figure out the PBS radio schedule.

No comments: