Friday, September 30, 2005

Varsity

I made the final decision for Varsity on volleyball today.

We held a fun practice today. We had a big 3-on-3 Queen of the Court Tournament. This may be the last practice with all the Varsity and Junior Varsity.

At the end of practice, I introduced the team. I really was thinking eight up until late last night/early this morning. Eight is the better number for traveling. Away games here in Nome are really away. Have to take a plane to get there. We travel to Barrow twice, Bethel, Dillingham. There is a seating problem on the plane. We rent smaller planes. Hopefully we will be getting the 19-seater most of the time so that we can bring 17 girls (two coaches). Even in that case, splitting up the Varsity and Junior Varsity is still a must. Can't just bring all my Varsity to play JV. That is why I wanted a tight eight. If we take the smaller 9-seater, I only get to bring seven varsity (Dillingham game?). We went with twelve girls on Varsity. There seemed to be a natural dividing line there out of the 35 girls. Now we will be able to scrimmage together as Varsity. It will work well. It will only be hard when we have to tell four Varsity girls that they aren't traveling this time. I am just going to have to tell them that that is the harsh reality. If we were down in the lower 48 we would all be riding in a big bus and could all come, every one of them. I think I am going to ask them how they want to handle it.

Most of the choices should have been obvious to the girls. I hope I don't get any slack from the decision. One good thing is that the assistant coach, Susan, and I are in complete agreement on who that Varsity is.

No comments: