Monday, September 05, 2005

The son of an Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain

I woke up early. It was Monday, Labor Day, a day off of teaching. Amy had the day off today too. She had Madison. Morgan spent the night at a slumber party downstairs. I put on my boots and set off at about 7:30 am.

Anvil Mountain. It's right behind our apartment. It's not tall--in fact, I think I have already joked about it in writing that it looks like a hill, really. At the top is a structure of rocks that looks like an anvil, of sorts. I went exploring. (I brought my disposable camera and have to send those pictures to be developed.)

So I started walking. This was the same area that the gold rush hit this area about 1900. Nome was incorporated in 1901 with a population that in its prime was about 40,000 people, most looking for gold. On this mountain, you can still see the remains of water drainage gullies that the prospectors had created to get water down the mountain. (I have to investigate how they got it UP the mountain.) This has been a well-travelled area, but not for some time. The occasional hiker struts their stuff but that's about it. The drainage gully was the most direct shot, straight up the gullet of the mountain. I didn't want to take the long way on the dirt road. I wanted to see the mountain.

Whew, but it was tough. Once I got onto the path, the incline was greater than I thought. I took some pictures of the area. I could see the whole town of Nome, the Bering Sea, Sledge Island. There were times I realized how really out of shape I am because I had to stop at least a dozen times to catch my breath. It was nippy out but not too cold. Amy made me wear a bright red cap because it was hunting season for moose. She joked that she was going to make me a hat with antlers. Thank goodness I had that red cap because it kept my ears warm. The wind whipped around.

I made my way up the mountain. Just straight up, wherever I could find a somewhat level path. I didn't have to climb with my hands or anything. I stopped every once in a while too to see the debris that has been left from 80 or more years ago. There is still some rusted leftovers of the metal that helped to make up the drainage ditch that had been lined with slate. I even took a couple of rusted souvenirs, metal end caps or something. At a certain level, the mountain began to resemble another planet at times. The rocks, some slate that was loose and gravelly, and some of the small plant life just looked different than any grass lawn that I was accustomed to.

I made it though. I put my hands on the Anvil. I looked around for a bit. Ever wonder what's on the other side of a mountain? I found out. I saw the Kigluiak and Bendeleben Mountain ranges blanketed with clouds. It was amazing. We actually would have a better view of these mountains if not for Anvil Mountain. Almost unfair that there is such a great view that is blocked. But I am sure that the Anvil blocks us from wind too.

So I climbed a mountain today.

No comments: