Saturday, September 24, 2005

Serenity

I feel like a real geek for this. I feel William Shatner peering into my soul telling me to get a life. I still am a sap for sci-fi.

There's a new movie coming out on September 30 called Serenity. It is from the mind of Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I absolutely despise that show. A couple of years ago, Fox had a couple of programs on Friday nights called Firefly and John Doe. Well, we really got into John Doe in the Butcher household. That was a fantastic show and I was so sorry to see it cancelled before one season could finish. Firefly was also cancelled after only 11 episodes. I watched that one because it was on before John Doe. I kind of got hooked.

The creator Joss Whedon did not let it die. I don't know how he got backing for a big budget movie based on a show that was cancelled after 11 episodes, but he did. Fan base somehow really helped. Check out Fireflyfans.net and the video section will amaze you at how intense the fans are.

It was different. There was something about space cowboys that was a little cheesy but it worked. Plus, I have to say that I was extremely intrigued by the politics of the Firefly universe. The storyline with Inara was mysterious and cool. It was like a space comic book; and I read comic books.

Plus the movie is going to have Chiwetel Ejiofor in it as well. He blew me away as an actor when I saw him in a DVD sent to me as a teacher called Why Shakespeare? I showed it to the class when we were memorizing and reciting Shakespearean speeches. I think they were blown away too. He reminded me of Derek Jacobi, my all-time favorite actor. He impressed me, and I am not that easily impressed with acting.

So I am looking forward to the movie.

Serenity: The Official Movie Website

No comments: