Friday, September 02, 2005

September

I am going to try to be a little more creative with the kids to start with. They don't want to start with thesis statements (even though they need it and it helps them immensely). I am going to give them a creative prompt that will hopefully get the juices going. Today's is always the best in my repertoire: Try to describe chocolate to somebody who has never tasted chocolate. They scratch their heads but inevitably come up with some good similes and metaphors, and then I can talk about those. Since it is Friday, I am also going to have them create an Autobio-Poem today that is pretty rigidly structured. It helps them to know exactly what to write on each line. I will then be able to put them up on the wall to showcase their work. Helps with buy-in.

Off the topic, Amy's feet have been killing her when she comes home. Standing behind the checker counter at Hanson's grocery isn't as easy as it looks. Just standing on your own two feet in one spot is worse than walking. I thought about it last night and that must be why I was so skinny back in high school and college: I must have walked MILES each day at Art's Supermarket in Sandwich, Illinois. Miles. I never sat down but for the one (maybe two) fifteen minute breaks you were allowed. Sure we slacked off sometimes but we never sat down. They can catch you sitting down. Standing, you could always get away with pretending to do something else. That is why I am fatter now. I used to walk everything off, practically every day, for six to eight hours a day. I was a carry-out boy/stocker/checker. And I remember those days checking used to hurt my feet even more than walking the floor. I have felt a bit sorry for Amy. She is used to walking around and cutting hair. Now she has to stand in one place.

Off to plan for the day. I am going to have to decide how to split up the curriculum I set for myself for the lower-end classes. They are taking twice as long to write the friendly letter describing their product. So today's creativity ought to help.

No comments: