Friday, September 23, 2005

I don't wanna...

God, I sound like one of my seventh graders. I have a ten page paper on Whitman to do this weekend. Thank God they called school off today. These waves and rain are scaring the hell out of the town. People aren't going in to work at the grocery store that Amy works at. They called off two days of volleyball practice well in advance of any really bad weather. I have discovered that last October there was a really bad storm that flooded Front Street downtown. Some windows got broken. Stores lost inventory. Here at the Beltz Apartments, yes, it's windy and rainy. The town sits right on the edge of the Bering Sea though. I am going to trust that the locals have had enough encounters with the sea to respect it this much. And I don't mind the day off. Ten pages on Whitman? I still have to devise a thesis, and what can I say that hasn't been said by twenty others in American literature criticism? I am going to pepper it with quotes and excerpts from Leaves of Grass and call it good. I just want to pass. I don't need an A. (I was kind of late on a couple of assignments and may not be able to get an A anyway. Teaching and family life and volleyball and I still have homework. It's hard to get it all done. As long as I get the credits, I keep telling myself.)

So that's what my day will be. And while I really am starting to enjoy Whitman's stuff, writing a paper is not really at the top of my list. If I get it done today then I can take Saturday off. So stop typing, Matt, and get to work.

No comments: