Saturday, September 03, 2005

A beautiful day in Alaska

It's a gorgeous day here today. Sun is bright and the skies are clear. There is so much more sky here, it seems to me. I am not encased by trees as I was in Washington.

Got our love seat chairs from Wal-Mart.com yesterday. We now have several sticks of furniture and a decent living room. We may be ordering a new 20" TV and a DVD/VCR combo through the Wal-Mart Alaskan Bush catalog. They ship to more remote places without charging an arm and a leg.

I'll be ok with teaching here. I just have to bring down my expectations to their actual level, then raise them as we go. The aide that is in my low-end first period class says there are kids in there who are doing great because they are writing things down. They are actually doing something when they haven't before. I guess that's leaps and strides. We'll work it out.

I am so glad it's a three-day weekend. I need the rest from getting back into the swing of things. I may be playing softball this evening--there is a big tournament for Labor Day. I would've played last night but the other team didn't all show.

I'm starting a Walt Whitman class for my Masters. Should be ok. I think I ended up with two D's in those last two classes because of all the late work I submitted because of the time without computer when I couldn't submit. Oh well. Just do better on this class now and my GPA will pop back up. I just want the damn degree anyway for the raise in pay. I did learn from the classes, just turned in late work. That's what's important: learning. That's two A's, a B, and two D's now. Oh well.

This apartment complex is feeling neater by the day. It feels just like a dorm room back in college except for the little kids running around.

No comments: