Wednesday, August 24, 2005

When in Nome...

They have this little tradition here about meeting the school year head on. Today, at no more than 50 degrees outside, we jumped into the cold Bering Sea.

After our third and final inservice day, where we talked for more than twenty minutes about the frickin vending machine, we lined up along East Beach. Jon Wehde, curriculum director and last year's principal, built a bonfire. We toasted the new year with a paper cup of wine. We counted to three and raced into the water.

We did this about six pm, so everybody got to go home and get suits on and stuff. Corey Erikson, my new buddy that lives down the hall and will be teaching math down the hall from me, and I got our kids and went down to the beach. Morgan was also daring enough to go in with us, along with Corey's two boys. I wish I had the pictures but they are in one of those disposable cameras. I will post those soon.

We get a little certificate and a patch that says we did this and I will also post pictures of those one day. We only got it though by getting under the water. It was cold. Actually, as we raced in, I didn't so much as jump under the water as a wave hit me in the face. We all got back out pretty much as fast as we could and into dry clothes.

Now that was fun. It was definitely something to write home about. Morgan and I jumped into the Bering Sea in late August.

No comments: