Monday, August 29, 2005

Middle of Day

I am not used to this seven period day. I am used to the block schedule which is three class periods a day. Now I teach six a day. I have repeated my beginning shpiel four times already. That gets monotonous.

And I am not used to this young an age. I have seventh and eighth graders this year. They are so young, so small, and so rambunctious. I have to lay down the law early in the semester here but they are such babies. They really are. These seventh graders look no bigger than my daughter Morgan. Some are smaller, in fact. I have to do a lot more teaching about responsibility this year than I have ever had to do before. My first period is squirrely. Thank goodness I have them first.

It will be a good year. I am glad I only have to concentrate on the writing GLEs (Grade Level Expectations) and not the reading ones. That's somebody else's headache. I teach the paragraph and the essay and grammar.

I am exhausted already. I was used to a two-hour break last year! Everyday! I am used to teaching one period then stopping for awhile. Not anymore. I have to get used to four 50-minutes classes and then my lunch and prep break.

They are kids. So far there is no discernible difference between them and what I've been used to. But I thought that. Somehow I put up this magical little wall. It's not there. They are just kids.

No comments: