Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Fog

Sound like a bad movie, but I had an adventure today that could only be titled The Fog.

We counted our bags when we got home and found we were short one. The black garment bag. It was sent to Boise of all places, opened and checked, and sent on to Nome. I called the airport and found out where it was. I had to borrow the school's van to drive out to the airport about three miles away. It didn't seem to be such a hassle but...the fog crept in yesterday and stayed all day today. The locals say there is also smoke from the forest fires mixed in with the fog. It was super-thick, one of the thickest fogs I've ever experienced. The only other fog that may have been close for me was the second day on my drive out to Seattle from Chicago, from Sioux City, South Dakota. With that fog, I thought I would get into an accident on I-90, but I still managed to do 50-60 miles an hour. I was an early riser and the fog burned off with the morning. This Nome fog stayed thick and heavy, almost palpable, all day long. You could not see a stop sign on the street you were driving on, it was that thick.

So as I drove to the airport, with this nice little map that the Business Manger Amy Lujan, wife of the superintendent, drew for me, I almost got lost twice. And this is a flat tundra where you can see for miles on a halfway clear day. I could not see buildings from the street. I stopped twice along the way to make sure I hadn't driven too far. I got my bag and made it back. We are still unpacking.

No comments: