Monday, August 29, 2005

First Day of School

I am anxious as the new year here in Nome starts. I am always anxious before school because of all the new faces. This year though, there is a bit of cultural shift as well. I am still learning now, you see. I'll be learning all year. There's a unit second semester in which the students interview tribal elders. While I am fascinated I am also timid about my lack of knowledge.

I incorporated some new stuff to start the year. Seating charts right off the bat, for one thing. I give each student a card with their name on it and their desk assignment (table assignment really since I have tables and chairs). On each seat is a picture of a superhero like Batman or Captain America or Supergirl. I thought that would be more fun than numbers. My seat is of course Superman.

I have one hour until the assembly in the RC center to start the year...

No comments: