Monday, July 04, 2005


Thirteen seconds after impact, Deep Impact records the ejecta from the comet. I have just been amazed by this whole endeavor. This is pure science and exploration. My wife disagrees and says, "Space--the final frontier--let's leave it that way." I, on the other hand, believe in deeper and deeper exploration. I think we should be shooting off Voyager-type probes every month or so into different directions. I want to go to the moon. I want to go on an interstellar voyage. I think this is mankind's ultimate fate. I have unfortunately been born too early in mankind's infancy. We are babies taking our first steps. I'll never get to see it. My kids will never get to see it. But it will be done. NASA smashed into this comet precisely on time at 10:52 pm PDT on July 3rd at 23,000 miles an hour. They can do these things, and we need to awe at them.

No comments: