Wednesday, July 06, 2005


Papas Fritas
Buildings and Grounds
2000

You’ve heard one of these songs, but you have no idea who sings it. It is in that one Dentyne Ice gum commercial where the babe writes her phone number on the subway window with her “cool” breath.

You can see the a-ha inspired video of “Way You Walk” at this website and you’ll know exactly which song I mean.

The album was a stretch for me. I had never heard of it, not even the song “Way You Walk,” when I first bought it. I was reading Seattle Weekly and looking through the music section when I came across this short article:

CITIZEN JOHN (March 29 - April 4, 2000)

by John Richards

Something very strange happened today. Not only did I discover one of the hippest feel-good bands of the new millennium, but I learned something new in the process. Papas Fritas is Spanish for french fries. I'm sure you already knew that. I'm sure you know thousands of Spanish words, but like an idiot I took German in high school. The only thing I can remember are dozens of swear words and the phrase "Ich Liebe die Kuh," which I believe means, "I love the cow," though I could be wrong. It's also the name of your new favorite band. No, not the band "I Love the Cow"; I think they're a death metal band out of Spokane. The band I'm talking about is known as "French Fries" in English, and they are your new favorite band. For us non-Spanish speaking music fans, think of Papas Fritas as standing for "Pop has freed us" and save yourself from the confusing world of translation. (I first announced on the air that Papas Fritas was French for giant sausage.) The amazing new record from this Boston trio, Buildings and Grounds (Minty Fresh), surely has freed us. I haven't figured out from what. I assume it saves us from the tiresome pop acts that pollute our airwaves. The third track, "Way You Walk," is one of the catchiest songs I have heard in years. I don't know if it's a dance hit or a pop hit, but it sits right on the edge of being either the friendliest song that never made it on commercial radio or the greatest song that most people have never heard.

Listen to John play track 3 every weekday morning from 6-10am on KCMU, 90.3 FM, and live on the Web at www.kcmu.org

So what did I do? I ran out and bought the CD. I needed that exact kind of recommendation at that moment, somebody into pseudo-underground music to tell me exactly what to listen to. I was sure that tons of stuff was out there, but how was I ever going to hear it. I try listening to KCMU but you have to sit through five or six just-ok songs to get to something good. It was on KCMU I also first heard The Old 97s singing “Singular Girl” with the lyric “Talking to you, girl, is like long division,” a simile that seemed so deftly perfect for some relationships that I couldn’t believe this wasn’t more popular. Looking further, they also did the ultra-cool “King of All the World.” So good music was out there but I did not want to root through the crap. So I took a chance on such a wonderful recommendation by the columninst/DJ John Richards.

I couldn’t have been more pleased. Some of the songs are satisfyingly weird and slow, but they all tend to come together as a greater whole. There is almost a little mini-album of three of the middle songs starting with “Way You Walk” then “Vertical Lives” which keeps beating drumsticks until and as “What Am I Supposed To Do?” starts. These songs are pleasant and poetic. There is a hint of early-80s Yaz/Book of Love feel to the songs but there is more. These are well-crafted songs. I am happy when I put this in the CD player, happy for finding a small band that still cared about the music. They must have broken up because their website lists nothing new, one entry poking fun at themselves, saying “We sold out! Our song 'Way you Walk' is featured in a Dentyne Ice Commercial.”

However they may be perceived, their music holds true on this one album. “Way You Walk” simply has to be one of the catchiest songs I’ve ever heard, something simple yet contains a longing that is heartbreaking. This is one of my favorite CDs.

No comments: