Sunday, July 03, 2005

Movie Review: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Anime can be hit or miss for me.

I think I really like Robotech because as a kid I remember watching it and discussing it with my friends in seventh and eighth grade. We read the Comico comic books (they were expensive ones back then so I had to read friends' copies). We watched The Transformers too, though technically not anime, because the concept was what was cool. Robotech and Transformers change into stuff, man.

But sometimes, I have watched some crap anime. And I just can't stay up to all hours of the night to watch late night anime on Cartoon Network. So I tape the movies when they come on Starz to watch later, or I rent them occasionally through Netflix. I had taped a while ago Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

At first, one of my prime dislikes of anime held true: slow and little movement. I find it amazing that when the talking is going on, the characters just sit there most of the time and have their mouths move. They seem to only move when there is extreme action. And when there was action, it was pretty to behold. But I miss the little movements in facial expressions and body language from watching a real movie. (For instance, Amy and I watched Mystery, Alaska starring Russel Crowe last night and I just noticed that there was movement...that's all.)

So Cowboy Bebop impressed me. First of all, the story was quite strong. I was really impressed by the villain. I love a ferocious villain that never wavers. The final fight scene on the tower with the fireworks going off was kung fu-pretty. I am going to have to rent the rest of the series through Netflix.

No comments: