Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Secret's Out

As of today, June 22nd, this blog is no longer a secret to my ninth graders. I'll give out the web address today in class during our last school day coffeehouse. We're going to have a cup of coffee, read a poem or two, and say goodbye to the year.

This blog is going to start concentrating on my family's adventures to and in Nome, Alaska. (Oh, by the way, a really sad way, the teacher's union did their audit of the Bremerton School District budget and their findings are that there was no need for a RIF--Reduction In Force--at all. I have heard that there is no language in the contract that stipulates that the union needs to validate the budget before these announcements are made. I am still glad they told me back when they did--much better than telling me today. However, if the truth is to be told, I wouldn't even have looked had I not gotten RIFed. Bremerton's loss.)

So Nome here I come. I want to concentrate on the similarities and differences, both educationally and socially. Nome is still in America but it is going to be a little different. You can't even drive to Nome, so that has to make it a little different perspective.

I can make a difference in Nome. It's a small town, reminiscent of my high school back in Illinois, Somonauk High School, where my graduating class was only 48 and there were only about 220 kids in the whole 9-12 school. Nome Beltz Jr./Sr. High School has about 300 kids. I am going to be the Drama Club advisor and the girl's volleyball coach.

It's a grand adventure. Life should be full of new things. You have to grab life by the horns and wrestle it down. I'm doing just that.

No comments: