Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Secret WASL

Apparently, there is a big secret behind this WASL test. No one can see the actual test, just the final score. Now with special priviledges, a parent can see it but under extreme circumstances.

This test is now a graduation requirement. Kids that don't pass the tenth grade WASL, three parts, will be made to take sections again and again until they pass...or no diploma. So how can it be such a secret?

My ninth graders this year will be the first that must pass the three major sections to graduate. The sections are writing, reading, mathematics, and science. They don't have to pass the science one...yet.

No matter what you think of the WASL, it's here. It's an idea, too, to maintain minimum competencies in order to graduate high school. (Why isn't it held senior year then? Does the state think that some need several tests in order to pass? Is then a sophomore level education the acceptable level? If so, why bother having 11th or 12th grade?)

Parents who request to see the test have to make arrangements with Public Instruction. It's not like they can go down to their child's school. And then they are truly only allowed to look at the test...no note-taking, pictures, or anything.

I think we educators need to see those, more than anything. That's the true indicator. Since I know what they are looking for, I try to impart that upon my students as I teach. Especially on the reading section, I have to direct the students to always show evidence from the text in their short answers. Amazingly though, during practice WASL prompts, some still don't list evidence. So if I could actually see how and what a student wrote, I could really work with that. It's mindboggling to me how many leave the short answers blank because it is apparently too much to write.

It's all irrelevant now. I'm moving to Alaska so I won't have to put up with it anymore. However, I also believe that in a few years there will be court battles over a student not graduating due to one stinking test. I think it will get reversed. Give it five years. Also, school districts are going to go crazy offering the WASL remedial classes. Those that don't pass sections of the WASL will be given an extra class to getter better at that section in order to pass. So that'll include a lot of eleventh and twelfth graders, some taking the class two or three times. This is a lot of time and money spent on slackers mostly. There are some kids that will truly need the remediation, but a hell of a lot of slackers that are just too lazy to write a short answer will be in there.

I would hate to teach that class.

No comments: