Monday, June 20, 2005

Its Own Scavenger Hunt

I just sold the weirdest movie at the weirdest price.

I have it on tape because my sisters and I used to watch it all the time on cable. Scavenger Hunt from 1979. It is really bad but it seems to be a cult classic. It is not made anymore on VHS and there is no DVD yet.

I just sold my VHS copy for $19.95. No kidding. Somebody bought it.

It's in perfect shape. The only difference between it and a brand new tape is the shrinkwrap. So if they don't make it, and somebody is really looking for it, it's a great deal. I know about cult classics. I actually got all 17 episodes of The Prisoner through Columbia House back when they were doing their classic VHS TV show thing, for about $20 an episode. Hey, that was the going rate back then to collect a TV show on original copy. DVD wasn't yet ubiquitous and didn't have boxed sets.

I can see someone paying $19.95 for this movie. I have fond memories of it. It doesn't hold up to today's stuff but it's a good flick. And there's one that I would buy in a heartbeat if I ever saw an original VHS or DVD (they don't make a DVD of it yet): Yellowbeard.

It's a movie from 1983 that my family still quotes today. "I'll kill anybody that gets in the way of me killing anybody!" I'd buy it for $20 right now. (Luckily, I don't have to. One of Amy's hair clients actually knew some way to "tape" it off Showtime a couple of years ago--it's on cable about once a year, literally--and burn a DVD of it. But shhh! don't tell anyone. Actually, I'd love for that to come out. Why do you have an illegal copy of this movie, sir? Because you idiots won't sell it on VHS or DVD!)

No comments: