Saturday, June 11, 2005

Interesting

Thank goodness for my My Yahoo! page. It is my homepage on the web that basically acts as my newspaper and information site. The great thing is that I get to set it up to concentrate on only the stories and info that I want. I have had this page for well over five years now.

I found out today that original handwritten letters from Percy Bysshe Shelley went up for auction. I learned a new twist to one of my favorite romantic poets in that he had written a pamphlet on atheism in 1811 and was expelled from Oxford because of it. Now that makes a ton of sense on some of the themes of his poetry, especially one of my very favorites "Ozymandias."

I found out today that one of the plays that is usually debated about its authorship, Edward III, was actually published in a New Cambridge edition of Shakespeare's dramas in 1998. And it fascinates me that there are apparently twleve plays that are considered part of this apocrypha that is deemed attributable and unattributable to Shakespeare. These plays are Locrine; The London Prodigal; The Puritan; Thomas, Lord Cromwell; Sir John Oldcastle; Arden of Feversham; A Yorkshire Tragedy; The Birth of Merlin; Fair Em; Mucedorus; The Merry Devil of Edmonton, and Edward III. I am going to have to see if I can find these at Gutenberg.

I found out today more about the probe smashing into the comet on July 4th. I am excited about this for some reason, excited about the possibilities that this raises not only for finding out more about the primordial universe but that we as humans can DO this.That amazes me. It makes me think that I am just living in the wrong century, that we are at such an infancy as a species and I will never get to see us grow up. It's the science fiction geek in me.

No comments: