Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Fwd: Re: Second unit test

This is an email I got back after my disappointing second unit test in my literary theory class. I still don't know what the heck she wants from me. There is no teaching here, only grading. There's no constructive criticism or feedback. I wouldn't even have gotten this information if I hadn't have asked.

What makes me mad is that she can't specifically say what I forgot to included, just that I "didn't use the tools" or didn't end with a "strong conclusion." (What the hell a strong conclusion has to do with giveing the pertinent information, I have no idea.) Apparently I have to figure all that out. I know it's a graduate level class but I still want some specifics. You can't take off points (I received a 3 out of 5 on each question for a total of 6 out of ten, which is a horrible grade) and not say why. You can't. I can't as a teacher, so why is it ok for a graduate teacher?

--- Helen Louise Bonner wrote:

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:29:47 -0700
From: "Helen Louise Bonner "

To: mjb0123@yahoo.com

Subject: Re: Second unit test

---------- Original Message
----------------------------------
From: mjb0123@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there--I was just wondering if you could give me
some constructive criticism on my second unit test.
If I received a 3 out of 5 on each question, I
really need to know what I need to do further to get
the job done. I know they might have been brief but
I thought they said the pertinent information. If
not, I need to know.

Thank you,
Matt Butcher

Matt, it is clear to me that you are bright and
insightful. With question one, the problem was that
although everything you said was interesting, and
relevant to Feminism in general, you did not
specifically answer the questions, using the
terminology and "tools" of Feminist criticism. You
did not show me you had mastered the main terms and
methods of F. criticism. Specifics Specifics,
especially the language. (cost you 4 pts) You did
much better in question 2, the New Critics, until
you got to that last line.
You needed to come to a strong conclusion there
regarding the question, and you didn't. Only lost 2
points on that one though. I'm the first to admit my
standards for a graduate class are quite high. I've
been teaching many years, and find that Literary
theory is a tough course for most students, but the
text is exceptionally easy to follow. Better luck
next time. Dr. Bear Bonner.
Dr (bear) Bonner.

___________________________________________
Get your degree online at National University!
Click here for more information: http://www.nu.edu

_____________________________________

No comments: