Thursday, June 02, 2005

$12.95???

I just spent $12.95 on an 80-year old paperback.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was published in 1925. The book is 180 pages long with no commentary pages or biographical or bibliographical material. The book is the size of a normal paperback. And I have already read it three times in my life.

And it cost $12.95.

Luckily, I get my 10% off from Barnes and Noble. But that just paid my tax on it.

I asked the clerk about it. No other copies available. Why is this book $12.95?

"Because this classic is still read in college classes and they can get $12.95."

At least she was honest. And she's right. I bought it for my Masters class in literary theory. I have to read it again in concordance with a book called Critical Theory Today by Lois Tyson. This text breaks down the major theories using the familiar text of Gatsby. So I had to buy it.

But $12.95 for an 80-year old text? Barnes and Noble hardcover classics go for about $7.95. Some of those books aren't exactly on everybody's list though.

Just because we read it still and they can put a high price tag on it, does that justify it? Remember, I said plain text novel, no other pages of info or anything. Because they can? Is that fair? Fitzgerald's great-grandchildren are probably living like kings off the royalties (like the pun?) off this book. I'm not denying them anything, but $12 fucking .95?

No comments: