Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Vultures Are Circling

So I am in my classroom during my prep/lunch period. My wife is there with me to eat lunch. Morgan was at school and Madison was at day care so Amy could get some work she needed done today. (Madison is only in day care two days a week, but I digress.)

Two other teachers some into my room. First let me explain that my room is like Grand Central Station. It is the old home ec room and the way this California-style building is set up, teachers can walk through my classroom and the adjoining conference room to get to the main office. I don't mind at all, not even when class is in session (but they don't abuse it anyway when class is in session).

These two teachers never come through here. They are on the opposite side of the building. I hardly ever see them. I know the name of one, we'll call him Mr. Smith, and I don't even know the name of the other one, who I think is an aide.

So while I am sitting there with my wife, I say hi and introduce them to Amy. Mr. Smith proceeds to tell me that they will probably be taking this room next year and they wanted to look at it.

Can my body wait to get cold first? Can the impression of my ass get out of my chair before they come scavenging for the leftovers due to my RIF (Reduction In Force)?

I know that conversations have to start about next year. The English department is meeting in another room right now to discuss what they want to do for next year. Plans need to be made. I understand that.

These are two teachers that barely know me from Adam. They have no idea about the Nome move. For them to come in while I am here, while my wife is sitting there, to talk about the takeover of my room while I am being involuntarily laid off from this position is one of the most inconsiderate things that have ever been perpetrated on me professionally. How dare they.

They can either wait until June 23rd, the day after school lets out, or come in to look when I'm not here. The room is never closed off with all these doors anyway.

I can't believe some people. I did email the assistant principal who said he would talk to them discretely.

No comments: