Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Referral

I got back a referral that I turned in to the office last week. This student is a habitual offender, having at least a dozen referrals from me this year.

This is what I wrote:
He asked to go to bathroom. I told him he was out of passes (they get 10 per semester). He started yelling at me, "That's a damn lie," over and over. I told him to leave. He still will not do any work even since the parent-teacher conference.

This is what I got back:
Assigned 1 hr. community service 5-25-05. If Mr. Butcher agrees to waive this (assuming Stephen does his work up to Wed 5/25) this can be waived.

Why would I choose to waive this? I sent him to the office because I could not deal with that behavior anymore on a teacher level. When a student starts yelling at you as a "damn liar" then it is out of my hands. So now the administration throws this back on me. He's going to come to me asking if I can "waive" this. I am going to say "NO" flatout. Why should I have to deal with this issue again? The administrators are supposed to be the hard-asses, not me. Whne I was in school, calling out the teacher with a "damn lie" would have been an automatic three-day suspension. And especially since this is not an isolated incident--he has received at least a dozen referrals from me alone this semester, not to mention other teachers. Why does he get this leniency?

Have a backbone.

No comments: