Sunday, April 17, 2005

Review: Whistle Stop

I found this movie called Whistle Stop in the dollar DVD bin at Target. Actually, it’s a double-feature, backed with another noir classic movie called Detour. I’ve never been more riveted for 50 cents (two movies for $1).
For its time (1946), it had some big names: George Raft, Ava Gardner, Victor McLaglen. The main character can't seem to get out and do something with his life but the dames love him anyway, even though he is a dick to them. He himself can't get Mary out of his mind because she left him to go find her fortune in Chicago two years ago. Now she's back. The other guy in the picture runs a local establishment and eventually a murder is discussed to remove the bar owner as a threat to his moves on the girl.
From there, it actually becomes a decent piece. I truly got involved with the characters, even though I couldn't stand one of them. I think that is the point of noir though: to be realistic. I know people like these characters. I wouldn't call it one of the best movies of all time, but it was time well spent. Especially on a dollar double-bill.

No comments: