Sunday, March 06, 2005

New Ben Folds Album Coming

Oh I am so excited about this:
. While a new solo Ben Folds album is coming out in April, a remastered version with new songs of the classic Whatever and Ever Amen is coming out in March.

I'll admit I thought they were good when I got the album the first time after hearing the song "Brick" on WDEK back home in Illinois. I never thought they were amazing though. Until...

When I moved out to Seattle in the summer of 1999, I didn't know anybody my age. The only people I did know where my aunt and uncle who live in Redmond (now Sammamish) and the people I worked with. It was all so new. Every week I picked up a copy of Seattle Weekly and rifled through it, trying to inhale the new culture I had thrust myself into. It seemed like Seattle had all the big town stuff but was so much more manageable than huge Chicago. At the time, I was really into Train's self-titled debut album with "Meet Virginia," "Free," and "I Am." I saw they were to play the Moore and open up for Ben Folds Five. I decided to go, even though it would be all by myself, something I never do. At the time, I was just going for Train and glad to listen to another band. Little did I know...

Ben Folds Five was on that night. I just sat and watched and was amazed at their harmony and playing. Songs on the album that were just ok to me seemed to come alive. Every time I listen to the album now, I hearken back to that time at the Moore where I fell in love with them. I am so excited.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Liked "Army" a lot, but that was about it. I'll try and give 'em another shot, though.