Monday, March 07, 2005

Funky Winkerbean shows us the absurd

Funky Winkerbean is a comic strip that is never really funny. It has been getting an uproar lately over its take on selling adult comic books. I first read about this on Peter David's website blog.

Those wishing to view the first installment of this Funky Winkerbean comic series, go HERE.

I believe that people will always complain about everybody else. Books can be racy (and it is amazing what is deemed racy today, may not be racy 100 years from now if you read any novels from the 1800s--think Ethan Frome about a married man falling for another woman, or D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers which is absolutely tame to today's standards). TV can be too racy on some programs, but guess what? I like those shows sometimes. I am the one that has to police my daughters on what they can watch. Morgan, 10, likes CSI, but I have to watch the shows first because they can be sexually oriented. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is completely inappropriate for her sometimes at this age, although it may make her aware of some things--more on that later.

If I like mature items, if anybody likes mature items, shouldn't they be made available? When that rap group NWA was putting out albums and that started the "Explicit Lyrics" stickers and CDs sold behind counters, while I don't like that music, it should be available to those who do and want to spend their money on them.

I am interested as to where this comic is going. Are we all prudes? Or if you aren't, are you a deviant? Will there be a CSI that hits too close to home on your sexual preferences?

Heck, it's hard for me to tell ninth grade kids at school not to swear when they are using words like "hell," "damn," or "bitch," words used continually on primetime tv.

No comments: