Sunday, February 20, 2005

Print versus PDF

I just read a very interesting Blog at http://jmc-omniverse.blogspot.com/2005/02/pdfs-of-existing-printed-work.html
on Wizards of the Coast selling online work for the same price as PDFs on their website.

I agree wholeheartedly with his conclusions. Bookstore trips recently have been a bummer because I refuse to pay $7.99 or more for one of the skimpy scifi or fantasy paperbacks. Paperbacks. I swear that I would buy more books if the price were less. I can't justify the price. And to find out that these books from Wizards are offering their stuff for the same price in both print and electronic format is just disturbing to an unfathomable level. Just how the hell do you use a 300 page PDF file easily?

I have tried getting books off of Gutenberg.net--the classics. But I just can't read it online. I've tried. And printing it would cost me probably an inkjet cartridge and a ream of paper.

Shouldn't PDFs, which are completely unalterable, be super cheap? It must be an issue where they know several mates will be giving it to each other free of charge on a homemade cd-rom. They want to get their money for one copy, at least. Is that it, Wizards?

No comments: