Sunday, October 17, 2004

Review of The Uncanny X-Men #449

I just have a few things to say about this garbage.

I still don't understand how they beat the villain. I have read it over and over and don't understand. I thought maybe I had some pages stuck together or something.

I don't see it progressing the overall title or the characters. Claremont had a great opportunity for Suspense when Storm and Nightcrawler walked through the room of mutant haters without powers. But he didn't.

I remember an issue of Uncanny somewhere between 195 and 200 where Kitty Pryde talked some smack with mutant haters. One of the mutant haters happened to be black. When he called Kitty a "mutie" she called him the N word. THAT was the meat of the comic...not the final fight to be a bad guy...not that there are mutant haters and always will be...The theme of the comic was discrimination, not a bad guy fight.

Some comics seem to be getting away with not having a theme. A theme is the underlying reason the story needs to be told, some insight into human character. Claremont used to be one of the greatest at this. Is Marvel telling him not to do this?? That's the only thing I can think of because I still remember comics like Uncanny #186 and #198 called "Lifedeath" and "Lifedeath II." No fights, no evil monsters, no extremely clever and confusing way to beat an enemy. Just a great story of character, determination, and what it takes to be a person.

So this new stuff, unless it gets better, is going to turn me off. Write to Marvel--let them know.

No comments: