Monday, October 04, 2004

Education is an effort

When did education become something to fight against?

I know that not all of my education was brilliant. Some was boring. Ok, most was boring. But you know what? I got through it. We all have to. I understood that it was a necessary evil. Maybe I didn't understand exactly why we are supposed to be learning certain things. I still have never used y=mx+b to this day outside of school. However, I know now that there is a process. Sometimes, it is just the educational process in figuring something out. Sometimes, it is the fact that back in high school no one had any clue what they were going to do with the rest of his or her life. I might have needed y=mx+b.

Plus, I wanted to get good grades. Some students don't even care about that today. I passed some seniors last year that have no business holding a high school diploma. Some of the ninth grade students this year have no skills and definitely no love of learning. Some have fought me tooth and nail, as if they can actually hold a real discussion of the educational value of writing, reading, and grammar. You know what? I have the degree--you don't. Plus, I didn't come up with all the stuff..it's already in the frickin state standards!

Some of my students are wonderful. I could name dozens that make me love teaching every day. However, I am ranting about those few that make my life miserable. I do more paperwork and handling of these recalcitrant few than I do for whole classes.

I love teaching, but students need to realize they are in school to get some skills for the world. I think those ancient greeks would shake their heads with disgust at some of the antics that go on. I am not here to punish or slave-drive. I am here to teach. Let me.

No comments: